Environment and Sustainability
In the world, 1.3 billion tons of produced food are destroyed or wasted (FAO). In the EU, this figure accounts to 90 million tons (180kg/person.). This generates 17% of greenhouse gas emissions and contributes to 28% of resource consumption.
Even though today leftover food can generally be recycled, they represent a waste of resources and unnecessary costs for the economy.
A 2015 study shows that in Luxembourg alone in the gastronomy industry, 4,490 tons of food waste could be prevented every year.
When it comes to food waste, packaging leftovers also pose a huge problem. More and more people are shifting towards takeaway products. And in our wasteful society of excessive consumption, single use packaging is ubiquitous. The production of packaging consumes an enormous amount of resources, which end up hardly used in the bin. In this way, these items that are not recycled unfailingly pollute the environment by ending up as rubbish that is burned.
For the production of packaging, the majority of the energy is consumed in manufacturing. Even if the manufacture of ECOBOX requires a lot of energy, it recovers on its ecological footprint after its initial reuses. In addition, at the end of its life cycle, the ECOBOX will become, in the reverse production, a raw material for another product thanks to its very significant resource potential.
The best garbage is the one that is not produced – therefore: better have multiple usages!
Positive for the consumer
Enjoy your meal and take home the leftovers or eat them on the road. The ECOBOX closes well, doesn’t leak and there is no smell. It is even possible to take away liquid dishes, such as soups. If the cold chain is properly taken care of, the food can be temporarily stored in the refrigerator while remaining fresh and delicious. It is a responsible and respectful way to process food.
The ECOBOX users:
- can promote their sustainable attitude and their environmentally-conscious behavior
- show their respectful behavior toward food products
- contribute to the prevention of waste and protection of resources
Positive for the provider
For the provider, there are a number of advantages besides the environmental and sustainable ones.
- Multiple use systems are popular and are widely accepted by consumers (circular economy)
- No buying of TO-GO packages necessary
- Effect of customer loyalty
- A positive “green” image with the reduction of waste
- Less waste and littering, namely by restaurants that offer takeaway food
- Less waste costs and less effort for waste management
- Free publicity for participating companies on the website www.ecobox.lu and various radio spots.